The middle school years are a time of transition for our students and families as many students take on more responsibilities at school, home, and in their extracurricular activities. We are so proud of our sixth, seventh, and eighth grade Eagles! We’ve included our favorite tips for families to help your students thrive.
Tips for families
How can you help your student succeed in school and beyond? Add these tried-and-true tips to your toolbox as you navigate this school year.
Be generous with praise
Observe your child carefully and comment on the things that are done well. When you see an area that needs improvement, find a positive way to talk about it with your child.
Encourage “personal best”
Help your child by encouraging him or her to do the best in school and at home. Remember, “personal best” does not mean “perfect”, and learning is not the same as high grades. Children, like adults, need the freedom to make mistakes and to learn from them.
Make learning a priority
Your attitude toward school attendance, education and involvement in the school makes a strong and lasting impression on your child. Show your child, by example, that learning is a priority.
Show interest in school work
- Talk about school each day.
- Ask to see classwork.
- Have your child read aloud to you.
- Read to and with your child from a variety of material in your first language.
- Encourage your child to discuss new ideas and opinions.
- Show appreciation for good efforts.
Offer suggestions for success
- Help your child use the following strategies to improve performance in school:
- Read the assignment when it is given.
- Keep a list of new vocabulary.
- Proofread assignments to catch errors before writing a final draft.
- Review notes before a test.
- Schedule study time
- Set up an area for homework away from noise and distractions.
- Post a family calendar that schedules school project deadlines, after-school activities, mid-term dates, exam periods and report card dates.
Stay tuned this school year — we’ll update this page regularly to include announcements, information from our principal, special events, and more.
We're here to help.
You are an important part of our community, and we’re here to help make sure that your student and family get the support you all need.
It’s the Pioneer way.